Welcome to the iFixit Technical Writing Project! We are very happy to have you working with us, and we look forward to helping you learn a little more about technical writing!
In this project, you will create a set of repair resources for a specific device. These resources will help people all over the world fix their own version of that same device. Think we're yanking your chain? Some student projects from previous quarters have had well over 50,000 views and continue to gather more and more views every day.
The page you are currently on is the Student Roadmap, a central hub for all the information you will need for the project. The Milestones above break down each step of the project, and the Resources below will elaborate on individual tasks. Helpful hint: Bookmark this page!
So…what will you be doing in this project? Let's break it down, shall we? (Remember, this information is just an overview, more specific instructions reside within each Milestone.)
- The Troubleshooting Page: This page will have a list of all the most common problems that someone might observe with their device. The problems should be obvious such as "Device won't turn on" or "Car makes a rattling noise at low speeds." For each problem, you'll list all of the possible causes, as well as what to do to fix them.
- The Device Page: This page is simple—it houses all of your other information. It includes links to your troubleshooting page, as well your repair guides.
- The Repair Guides: The bulk of your project, each repair guide should show how to perform a specific hardware replacement. From simple repairs like replacing a battery, to more complicated repairs like replacing a motherboard, each guide should show the procedure involved to open and remove the component in question.
One last thing: We are here to help you! We love answering any questions that you might have, so add us to your address book and feel free to email us at anytime!
Our email address is: ===> techwriting[at]
Instructional Videos ¶
These instructional videos will help walk you through every step of the project. They are a great resource to get you started on each section, but you still need to read through each milestone for more specific instructions. Click on the thumbnail below to get started!
We'd love to know how we can improve both our site and our program for future students. We're continuously working on the software you are using and new features pop up all the time. We need your feedback! If you find any bugs in the software while you're working, email us at techwriting[at]
- Check the Student FAQ for in-depth solutions to common issues.
- Look at project milestones for specific instructions on any part of the project.
- Ask a peer.
- Contact us at techwriting[at]
ifixit.com with any questions about your project.