Spring 2017 Student Office Hours:
- Tuesdays 10:00am-12:00pm
- Thursdays 1:00pm-3:00pm
You must schedule an appointment to use the photo studio, even if it is during office hours.
We do schedule photo appointments outside of our Student Office Hours. Please email us at techwriting[at]ifixit[dot]com to request an appointment any time during normal iFixit business hours, 9am-5pm Monday-Thursday. Please note that many iFixit technical writers are unavailable on Fridays. If Friday is the only day that works for you, let us know, and we may be able to set something up.
Please include the word APPOINTMENT and your full team tag in the email's subject line. Appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you have a question about a certain step in your guides and would like some help figuring it out, disassemble the device as much as you can before coming to office hours.
Make sure your appointment is confirmed before you show up!
CHECKING OUT LIGHT KITS / CAMERA KITS / SOLDERING KITS
You must check out and use an iFixit Lighting Kit when taking pictures for your repair guides.
The lighting, camera, and soldering kits are located at our office. Soldering kits are also available in your class toolkit (one per class). To check out a lighting kit or camera, come see us during office hours or schedule an appointment.
Rules for using the lighting, camera, and soldering kits:
- Lighting kits will be available for check out for a week at a time. We ask that you wait until you begin taking photos for your guides before coming to check out a lighting kit.
- Cameras are available if no one in your group has one. When paired with the lights we provide, any point-and-shoot digital camera with at least 6 megapixels will take acceptable photos.
- Groups who are feeling ambitious, and want to desolder connections in their device in order to have an additional repair guide, can check out a soldering kit. There are few instances where this is necessary to have the minimum number of guides.
- If a kit is not returned on time, we will contact the group member who provided their name and phone number at device check out.
- Each group is responsible for the contents of the kit. Check the Bill of Materials to figure out what materials you should be receiving. If not all items are present when checking in the kit, you will be held financially responsible for the missing items.
- If a light bulb breaks, or you require some other equipment, email us at techwriting[at]ifixit[dot]com.
You can find everything you need to know about the project on Student Roadmap.
We'd love to know how we can improve both our site and this program for future students. We're continuously working on the software you are using, and new features pop up all the time. We need your feedback! If you find any bugs in the software while you're working, email us at techwriting[at]ifixit[dot]com, and we'll get back to you. If there are interface elements that are confusing, keep a log of things that stuck out to you and include it in your feedback writeup.
- Check the Student FAQ for in-depth solutions to common issues.
- Look at project milestones for specific instructions on any part of the project.
- Ask a peer.
- Contact us at techwriting[at]ifixit[dot]com with any questions about your project.