Fast Start: Overview
You are finished with this section when you:
- Sign up for an iFixit account using your school email address
- Join a student team
- Create a profile
- Choose a fix that is not already documented on iFixit for your project
- Email a PDF of your proposal to techwriting[at]ifixit[dot]com
- List the four main requirements in your proposal
- Include the correct header in your proposal
Join a Team
1. Click here to create your account and add yourself to a project team on iFixit.
- Even if you are working alone, you need to be on a team. Being on a team, even a team by yourself, gives you student privileges that allow you to complete your work.
- Use your name and school email when signing up for the account.
- Make sure to select the appropriate information from the drop-down menus. If you add yourself to the wrong team, just select the correct team and click "Update My Team."
- Team tags follow this format: School-ProfessorLastName-T#S#G#. For example, if you are attending Cal Poly in Fall 2014, in section 4 of Dr. Jon Doe's class, assigned to group 7, your team tag will be: CPSU-DOE-F14S4G7.
2. Go to your profile and add an avatar.
- You can click on your name in the top right corner of the home page to view your profile. To view your profile from other pages on iFixit, click on your name in the top right corner of the site and select “My Profile” from the dropdown menu. On your profile page, you'll see all the guides you've created.
- On the same page, click the team tag below your avatar to view a list of your team members and your team's activity.
- Click on the "Edit" tab on your profile to add an avatar or update your profile summary.
Here at iFixit, repair is our way of life. It motivates us to do what we do. We live in a throwaway economy, where people simply chuck things in the trash when they break. Those things end up in huge landfills and wreak havoc on the environment. We want to provide people with the information and tools that they need to repair anything that might need fixing. (For more information on why we care, see our Blog.)
- If you’d like to view this video with subtitles, click the "Play" icon, and then click the "Subtitles/CC" icon in the bottom right of the player to display English subtitles.